HUMAN RESOURCES SPECIALIST
About the Center for Heirs’ Property Preservation
The Center for Heirs’ Property Preservation™ (CHPP™), a nonprofit organization established in February 2005, has a mission of protecting heirs’ property (HP)—a form of landownership—and promoting the sustainable use of land to provide increased economic benefit to low-wealth families through education, advocacy, legal services, and forestry technical assistance primarily in the counties of Allendale, Bamberg, Beaufort, Berkeley, Calhoun, Charleston, Clarendon, Colleton, Darlington, Dillion, Dorchester, Florence, Georgetown, Hampton, Horry, Jasper, Lee, Marlboro, Marion, Orangeburg, Sumter and Williamsburg in South Carolina.
In addition, CHPP™ has a national and regional leadership role in providing expertise on the issue of HP and, ultimately, in developing business models for best practices in the work needed to address the HP issue in all its complexity.
Human Resources Specialist
The qualified candidate will have the following experience and background:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· This position will coordinate the daily Human Resources (HR) activities and programs, including but not limited to recruitment & retention, benefits management & payroll processing.
· Assist with the administration of company-wide human resources policies, procedures, and practices in accordance with the Center’s core objectives and federal and state legal requirements.
· Recruits and interview candidates; collaborate with the hiring manager to understand the required skills and competencies for the open position.
· Coordinates hiring process; conducts background checks, reference checks, and drafts job confirmation letters.
· Utilize recruitment tools to attract and identify qualified candidates, i.e., online recruiting sites, SC Workforce, job fairs, The Center’s website, and all online platforms and other tools.
· Tracks the status of candidates and responds with follow-up letters at the end of the recruiting process.
· Conduct employee onboarding and ensure that all necessary technology and workspace requirements are set up prior to the start date.
· Performs payroll-related functions including but not limited to processing new hires, termination status changes, tax changes, wage garnishments, deductions, and direct deposit in ADP system.
· Processes required documents through insurance providers.
· Coordinates insurance open enrollment and retirement enrollment.
· Assists with the offboarding process for employee separations; setting up exit interviews and ensuring that all paperwork is completed in a timely manner.
· Assists with the preparation of the performance review process.
· Prepares new employee files.
· Performs customer service functions by answering employee requests and questions related to payroll, benefits, or other HR-related matters.
· Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
Desired Experience, Education, Skills and Knowledge
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, preferred.
· 3+ years of human resources administrative experience, business management or payroll experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Working knowledge of HR laws and regulations.
· Ability to manage priorities and workflow.
· Ability to prepare business correspondence and reports.
· A professional demeanor and the highest level of discretion are essential in the management of confidential information.
· Must have excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing, and the ability to successfully multi-task and collaborate with others.
· Must be proficient in using Microsoft Office 365 and ADP Workforce or similar software programs.
· Has a thorough knowledge of practices, policies, procedures, rules and regulations governing the
· Possess a valid SC driver’s license.
· Is able to use good judgment in following Center standards and does not deviate from the standards.
· Has a strong commitment and belief in the concept of alternative dispute resolution.
· Has the willingness to engage in outreach work in the project service area.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation consists of (1) a base salary that is dependent upon the level of experience and falls within Center Pay Grade 7 ($50,000 – $55,000) and (2) benefits (i.e., paid leave, company-paid health, dental insurance, and retirement contribution).
Applications will open until filled. Applicants should send via email (1) a cover letter, which includes why the applicant wishes to apply for the position, along with salary requirements, and (2) a resume. This information should be sent via email to the attention of: firstname.lastname@example.org