About the Center for Heirs’ Property Preservation
The Center for Heirs’ Property Preservation (the Center), a nonprofit organization established in February 2005, has a mission of protecting heirs’ property (HP)—a form of landownership—and promoting the sustainable use of land to provide increased economic benefit to low-wealth families through education, advocacy, legal services, and forestry technical assistance primarily in the counties of Allendale, Bamberg, Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Clarendon, Colleton, Darlington, Dorchester, Florence, Georgetown, Hampton, Horry, Jasper, Marion, Orangeburg, Sumter and Williamsburg in South Carolina. In addition, the Center has a national and regional leadership role in providing expertise on the issue of HP and, ultimately, in developing business models for best practices in the work needed to address the HP issue in all its complexity.
The Center is a rapidly growing, results-oriented, small team workplace seeking a smart, energetic, and committed individual to make the CEO a more effective leader by increasing her capacity to focus on the most strategic issues. The ideal candidate will have at least five years of experience providing executive support in a fast-paced office environment and a strong interest in justice and land preservation. In addition, this individual must be a servant leader who thinks critically with solid communication skills who is detail-oriented, organized, collaborative, proactive, creative, and flexible to accomplish a variety of high level administrative functions for the CEO, including, but not limited to, assisting the CEO with grants/fundraising, policies and procedures, strategic planning, report analysis, projects and events, calendars, meetings, and travel arrangements. The Executive Assistant and/or Receptionist will report to the Executive Administrator.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists the CEO in advancing the Center’s strategic priorities, reinforcing the CEO’s vision, and addressing time or critically sensitive issues.
- Serves as a sounding board to the CEO in important situations.
- Schedules and prepares for board meetings inclusive of preparing packets for board meetings; coordinating agendas, taking accurate minutes and producing final copies on deadlines to establish accountabilities for commitments made in those meetings.
- Responds to and meets with a broad range of internal and external individuals and groups, frequently related to matters of immediate concern, and coordinates timely responses, solutions and follow-up with the CEO and others.
- Ensures CEO is appropriately prepared and supported for meetings, calls, and trips by providing substantive and analytical information.
- Creates and proofs correspondence including emails, letters, memos and reports as required, demonstrating experienced senior professional level written communication skills.
- Strategically manage the CEO’s time to make certain that identified priorities are addressed in a timely manner and to ensure that the use of the CEO’s time is focused on critical, strategic issues.
- Makes sensitive and critical judgment calls.
- Manages internal and external communications by drafting internal company newsletters, reports, pitch decks, speeches, and presentations on the CEO’s behalf.
- Supports the CEO with the development and timely submission of grant applications and maintaining strong relationships with key funders and stakeholders.
- Coordinates special initiatives/projects and grant drafting meetings as determined by the CEO and assists in the planning of special events for the CEO. 1
- Assists CEO in onboarding new board members, monitoring term lengths, researching and recruiting new board members.
- Leads annual strategic planning process for the Board, Leadership Team and Staff by acting as a project manager and ensuring alignment with the CEO and leadership team.
- Supervises the Executive Assistant and/or Receptionist.
Desired Experience, Education, Skills and Knowledge
- Undergraduate degree (or equivalent experience) in a relevant discipline
- A minimum of five years related experience in executive office performing management and administrative duties, preferably a nonprofit
- Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills. Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite, portable devices, internet research and general office equipment
- Demonstrated excellence in project management, including developing and managing timelines
o Strong ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
o Strong planning, organization and time management abilities
o Able to function under pressure and work under deadlines
- Strong writing, research and analytical skills; excellent written and oral communication skills
- Able to work independently, as well as in a team-based, highly collaborative environment
- Willing and able to travel
- Able to work extended hours
- Ability to exhibit the highest standards of professional ethics including confidentiality and integrity
- Must possess a valid SC driver’s license
- Capability to deal with individuals from various backgrounds, including clients and personnel
- Empathetic to the special values and challenges of HP owners and other historically underserved landowners
Compensation consists of (1) a base salary that is dependent upon the level of experience and falls within Center Pay Grade 12 ($57,100 – $75,000) and (2) benefits (i.e., paid leave, health and dental insurance, and retirement).
Applications will be received until 5 pm on October 9, 2020. It is anticipated that the position will be filled by December 1, 2020. Applicants should send via email (1) a cover letter, which includes why the applicant wishes to apply for the position, along with salary requirements and (2) a resume. This information should be sent to the attention of: Jennie L. Stephens, CEO (email@example.com), Center for Heirs’ Property Preservation, 1535 Sam Rittenberg Blvd., Suite D., Charleston, South Carolina 29407
No calls, please, regarding this opportunity; however, feel free to view the Center’s website at www.heirsproperty.org for additional information.